To the Great Abysmal Internet

Chase McDuffie Hart the Second (that's me),
solemnly vows to write a sonnet each day
for one year, in order to see what happens.
He'll post them here, however terrible.

Petrarch, the bard, cummings, John Donne, A.E.
Stallings, and Emily Barrett Browning all say
things in his head. Holding pens like javelins,
they whisper arcs and pierce the inexpressible.

These clunk along, meter as pot-holed
as his vernacular. Rhymes scheme
or don't. Expect fourteen lines, and scold
freely if you don't find my themes

appropriate to the form. Forgive enjambment
when it bothers, and this tone of denouement.

01 August 2009

a wedding sonnet

Today, we go to the wedding of Carolyn’s cousin.
Carolyn is singing so she will go to the country-club
early to rehearse. I will meet her there, among
her extended family, most of whom describe
our arrangement to any who ask as “living in sin.”
Contrarily, I suppose they mean, to how they live.
Her grandma canes any aunts who dare indulge us.
I wear my decent shoes, but didn’t get a haircut.

Everyone drinks in the face of so much ceremony.
I will not marry in a temple to golf. Or in any
other building. Nor will I wear shoes.
Carolyn and I held hands and observed the homily.
When she sang, people cried. The couple's candle flamed blue.
The driving range at sunset, a bride at the booze.