To the Great Abysmal Internet

Chase McDuffie Hart the Second (that's me),
solemnly vows to write a sonnet each day
for one year, in order to see what happens.
He'll post them here, however terrible.

Petrarch, the bard, cummings, John Donne, A.E.
Stallings, and Emily Barrett Browning all say
things in his head. Holding pens like javelins,
they whisper arcs and pierce the inexpressible.

These clunk along, meter as pot-holed
as his vernacular. Rhymes scheme
or don't. Expect fourteen lines, and scold
freely if you don't find my themes

appropriate to the form. Forgive enjambment
when it bothers, and this tone of denouement.

07 August 2009

sonnet to august five

And on the seventh day, I rested,
failing my covenant to the great pit.
But I woke to an electrical storm
and maligned the sonnet once more.

Because the universe always laps back
on itself, I'll wreck two flapping
days with this fourteen layer rock.
Such is efficient love-making.

Gnarl in the shoot, knot in new line, you are
a doubling back, the contemplation of fault,
tangle of creation and lack thereof, you bare
me by absence. The silence reveals the vault

of my dysfunctions. And so the project remains.
As with love, failures can be gains.