To the Great Abysmal Internet

Chase McDuffie Hart the Second (that's me),
solemnly vows to write a sonnet each day
for one year, in order to see what happens.
He'll post them here, however terrible.

Petrarch, the bard, cummings, John Donne, A.E.
Stallings, and Emily Barrett Browning all say
things in his head. Holding pens like javelins,
they whisper arcs and pierce the inexpressible.

These clunk along, meter as pot-holed
as his vernacular. Rhymes scheme
or don't. Expect fourteen lines, and scold
freely if you don't find my themes

appropriate to the form. Forgive enjambment
when it bothers, and this tone of denouement.

03 August 2009

sonnet to fruit flies and hotdog burritos

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies
like a banana. Carolyn kills both
by slapping them between her ruthless hands.
I lunch on a hotdog burrito, ignoring what dies
while I eat. The mechanically separated path
of nameless chickens’ and pigs’ flesh can
disquiet my enjoyment upon contemplation.
I can’t afford to feed myself sans mutilation.

By the flea’s argument, Drosophila melanogaster
marries old peaches and pears. In our case,
merely batches of beer. Within last dribbles,
in cans waiting to be recycled, they fester.
Trying to sleep, she’s sure they’re on her face.
To lull her off, my passes, buzzing, and nibbles.